A 30-metre-long Viking ship built with DKK10m donated by the Tuborg Foundation was launched at the weekend at the Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde, Denmark.
The ship was named Havhingsten af Glendalough by Her Majesty Queen Margrethe II of Denmark.
The remains of the original ship, together with four others, were excavated from Roskilde Fjord in 1962 in thousands of pieces. Only 10% of the ship survived. However, it was possible to create a detailed building plan thanks to the meticulous construction of a 1:10 scale model.
Archaeological evidence suggests that the ship was built in Dublin, Ireland, around the year 1040. At that time the Vikings had settled in Ireland and built several fortified bases along the coast.