The first quarter in outline:
- Group sales of beer and soft drinks grew by almost 5 per cent.
- The Group's turnover amounted to DKK 9.0bn, an increase of about 11 per cent compared with the same period last year.
- Operating profit totalled DKK 571m against DKK 564m last year.
- Profit before tax amounted to DKK 544m compared with DKK 552m last year.
- The result for the period is slightly better than expected in the Preliminary Profit Statement 1998/99.
- For 1999/2000 operating profit is expected to be at level with 1998/99 or slightly higher.
- Carlsberg has acquired the minority shareholder's 40 per cent interest in the Finnish brewery Sinebrychoff and the Swedish brewery Falcon and now owns both breweries 100 per cent.
- Carlsberg A/S has started the division of the organisation into three business areas: Carlsberg Beer, Carlsberg Soft Drink and Carlsberg Finans.
- It is the intention to divest the shareholdings in Royal Scandinavia and Tivoli in the course of the year.
Carlsberg's principal shareholder, the Carlsberg Foundation, is continuing work as planned on the possibility of adjusting the Foundation's statutes.
Contact: Telephone +45 3327 3327
President and Group Chief Executive Officer Flemming Lindeløv
Read the entire statement here